Jennie, Ted, Brooklyn, Maddux, Nolan & Payton

Jennie, Ted, Brooklyn, Maddux, Nolan & Payton

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Play Ball!!

The season has finally started and we got to play our first two games this week. After having the first two games get rained out we finally played a couple of games and are unofficially 2 - 0. They don't keep score during Maddux's game but we have definitely scored more runs than the other team and our kids know it. They are very quick to tell me that they won. It has been a lot of fun so far and I have seen a lot of improvement over the last 2 months. We have actually played very well the first two games. We have made some great plays in the field and have been hitting very well. There are a couple of lapses where the kids are drifting off into their own world but for the most part they are done a very good job. I am looking forward to seeing how we play the rest of the season and continuing to watch the kids develop and grow their game. Maddux is having a lot of fun and has made some new friends in the process. We don't have many pictures from the game, as Jennie was struggling with the camera, but I did manage to get some good still shots of Maddux. Hopefully by the end of the season Jennie will have learned how to use the camera and we will get some good shots.


Maddux taking off right after connecting on a pitch. I believe this is the picture when he hit me with the line drive. We are not allowed to go after the ball with our glove and are left to try and get out of the way. Well my reactions aren't what they use to be and I couldn't get out of the way in time. I felt bad for Maddux because what would have been a double for sure turned into a single because the ball didn't go anywhere. He has the meanest swing, by far, of anyone on our time and of anyone that we have played against so far. He is one of the only kids that I throw overhand to because he hits that better than underhand. It seems the harder I throw it the better and further he hits it.


Yours truly pitching to the kids. The first inning of our first game I threw overhand and ended up striking out 3 of the first 4 batters. The next inning I went underhand and we hit through the order. It is kind of funny because I have always thrown overhand in practice and they hit fine but couldn't in the game. There are still two kids who can hit overhand but everyone else gets the underhand stuff.



I worked with Maddux on switching up and batting left handed today and he actually did quite well. He doesn't seem to have any problem with the stance or swinging just doesn't have the power or timing down quite yet. He had a couple decent hits today and we will keep working on it and hopefully turn him into a power hitting switch-hitter.


This is our best Bo Jackson impression. I couldn't get the stare out of him but a good picture none the less.


No problem with the stare here. Now I just need to get him to look like this when he comes to the plate. Try to intimidate the picture.


Tried to get him to do his best pitcher impression. Eyes just peeking above the glove.


Just hanging out happy to be playing ball.

We had picture day today so hopefully we will be getting Maddux's rookie cards hot of the press. They will be an extremely limited edition item and hopefully worth some money one day. I also hope to get some better action shots in the coming weeks, stay tuned.

1 comment:

The Beards said...

No doubt about it, he is a proud papa!!!!!!