Jennie, Ted, Brooklyn, Maddux, Nolan & Payton

Jennie, Ted, Brooklyn, Maddux, Nolan & Payton

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Weekend at Great Grandma and Grandpa Beards



This past weekend we were fortunate enough to be able to go down to Indiana to visit my grandparents and introduce them to Payton. The weather held up just enough for us to make it down there without incident. We were also lucky enough to see my Uncle Steve although it almost never happened. His plane was on the runway getting ready to take off when the plane crashed in Denver. He said he could see the wreckage out his window and it delayed his flight only by an hour. The visit was quick but it is always good to see them. The kids love spending time around their great grandparents and love "Uncle Steve." Here is a slide show from our trip and we hope you enjoy.



We did have some interesting moments while on our trip as Nolan and Maddux were not their usual selfs. Maddux was sick on Thursday and still has not fully recovered to this day. He runs around and acts like himself but hasn't eaten much food in the last 3 or 4 days. He has just not been that hungry. Nolan had a dirty diaper that was more water than anything else. I have never seen a diaper like this before and he has had some good ones. He was leaking all over the place and it was like someone dumped a gallon of dirty water in his diaper. I felt bad because I was changing him on the bed and had no idea what I was in store for. When I took his pants off the poop and water just ran all over the bedspread. My grandmother was very cool about it and just said it wasn't his fault. Everything in her house is immaculate and very tidy and her we come and make things a mess.

They do have a huge basement that is totally wide open and doesn't have much in it. It is perfect for the kids to go down and play ball, tag, run around, and do pretty much whatever they want. I think they wore Steve out for the day we were there as all they wanted him to do was go downstairs and play ball or tag. He was however kind enough to play with them quite a bit.

It is funny because my grandfather doesn't come out of his room much and isn't a big talker when we are there. However he is always willing to come out and take pictures and hold the kids. My favorite photos are of him holding Payton with a big smile on his face. He is also not much of a hugger but Nolan came running up to him when we were leaving and gave him a big hug. Grandpa gave him one right back. Another funny story was of my grandfather going to the basement to smoke in his little corner. The kids were down there playing ball and they would run over to him say "hi grandpa" and then run back. They kept taking turns, one at a time, running over and saying this and every time grandpa would say "hi there." I am amazed at how well him seems to be doing every time we go visit. He still has a nice strong handshake and ate almost as much as I did at dinner, and I eat a lot. We are grateful to be so close to them and able to run over for a weekend when ever we want.

Well one more day to Christmas and I have a lot of presents to wrap so I am gong to say goodnight and Happy Holidays to you all.

No comments: